This is a multi-part series with additional
history being added. For readability we have broken down the
story into geographical parts
HISTORY OF THE 505th PARACHUTE INFANTRY REGIMENT
1942 – 1945
As of December 2019, we are "again" working on the completion of this history.
we are determined to complete this task, unfulfilled since the website's inception in 2003.
“…early on I learned that when I gave the 505 a job to do,
it would be done and with little or no direction on my part.
I have no doubt that, based on its record, the 505 was the best parachute regiment to come out of World
– General Matthew B. Ridgway
1) Bradley Biggs, Gavin, A Biography
of General James M. Gavin (Hamden, CT: Archon Press, 1980)
2) Clay Blair, "Ridgway’s Paratroopers": The American Airborne in
World War II (Garden City, NY: Doubleday & Company, Inc.,
3) James M. Gavin “Personal Diaries”, James M. Gavin Papers, U.
S. Army Military History Institute, Carlisle Barracks, PA.
4) James M. Gavin, "Airborne Warfare" (Washington, DC: Infantry
Journal Press, 1947)
5) James M. Gavin, "On To Berlin": Battles of an Airborne
Commander, 1943-1946 (New York, NY: The Viking Press, 1978)
6) James M. Gavin, "War and Peace in the Space Age" (New York,
NY: Harper & Brothers, 1958)
7) Allen Langdon, “Ready”, The History of the 505th Parachute
Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division, World War II
(Indianapolis, IN: Western Newspaper Publishing Co., Inc.,
8) "U.S.A. Airborne 50th Anniversary" (Paducah, KY: Turner
Publishing Company, 1990)
9) Phil Nordyke "Four Stars of Valor" The Combat History of
the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II
(Zenith Press - 2006)
10) Peter Turnbull "I Maintain the Right" The 307th Airborne Engineer Battalion in WW-II (AuthorHouse Publishing 2010)
11) Frank Miale "Stragedy" Story of the 307th Airborne Engineer Battalion (Trafford Publishing 2005)
12) John McKenzie "On Time On Target" A World War II memoir of a forward observer for the 456th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion.
13) Dennis G. O'Loughlin "Fierce Individualists" U.S. Paratroops in WW-II (Pfc.O'Loughlin served in E Company 505-PIR)